Thursday 8 March 2012

19 weeks pregnant

I don't know about you but at 19 weeks pregnant, I felt much more anxious and nervous than at 12 weeks. A few pregnancy symptoms I had have dissapeared or even worse, they were not there at all! At the back of my mind I was wishing that my baby at 19 weeks was alive and healthy.

It wasn't just paranoia, my doubts were founded on specific reasons. I did have very itchy dry hands a few weeks ago which was a normal pregnancy symptom. My friend who recently had a baby, just managed to have her hands back to normal. I've read that this happens due to the hormonal change after labour so you can imagine my worry when I saw my hands back to normal already!

To add to my anxiety, there were all these newsletters I received by e-mail which mentioned that I should start feeling my baby kicking by now but nothing was happening. My partner was even talking to my bump to tell him/her to give us a sign that he/she was there.

I think it was normal to worry. I was going to have my 20 week anomaly scan soon and I immediately started thinking about all the things that could go wrong. At the same time, I was also very excited because we made the decision to ask the sex of the baby so we were really looking forward to that.

On the day of the scan, I've decided to work to keep my mind occupied as it was in the afternoon. I wanted to have an active baby in the scan so I've asked our Koolmami Facebook fans to give me suggestions on what I can do to keep baby moving.

They were all very encouraging and suppportive and I was overwhelmed by the good luck wishes. They told me to have an energy drink or something with caffeine, something cold and chocolate. It was a hot day so I went for a cold energy drink.

We've got to the hospital and we had to wait for a bit which made us more impatient. I did pray for the baby to be okay and for everything to be fine. We were called in and the sonographer was so matter of fact and bored with 'yet another baby scan' that we were just focusing on the screen. 

It's the best thing in the world to see some movement at that point. We realised that the baby grew a lot since the last scan and the images were not as clear. We think it's because the baby couldn't fit in the screen as it did before. The sonographer was focusing on the different parts of the body literally going bit by bit checking her sheet of paper. Baby was very active and I think the sonographer was getting a bit angry that she coudn't get it to stay still (whoops!).

She was going to finish when I've asked her about the sex of the baby. She wasn't going to tell me otherwise! She said 'it's a girl. You see these three little marks here, that's a girl, although 1 in 5 we do get wrong'. The news didn't sink in, she said it with no emotion at all that it sounded like she was talking about the weather or something...
 
We were shocked. I think my partner expected a boy for some reason but he was very happy still. It took us a while to think that we are having a 'she' now and not an 'it' or a 'he'. It feels so weird but we are over the moon to know that everything is okay, she is healthy and alive. We can't wait to meet her! Have a look at out scan pictures. We are so proud!





funky baby clothes funky baby toys funky baby funky baby gifts baby gifts

No comments:

Post a Comment