Wednesday 25 January 2012

15 weeks today!

I had the day off to see the midwife for my 15 weeks appointment so Gareth was in the shop. She was meant to tell me the results of my blood and urine tests and take more blood so I wasn’t really excited about it. 

 As soon as I’ve got there, I met a midwife student who was being trained by her. She asked me if I brought a urine sample but I didn’t remember I had to do that! Am I having ‘baby brain’, already? Although, I must admit when I was reading my notes a few days ago, it did say there about testing the urine on every midwife visit! Anyhow, she let me off for now.

The other lady took my blood pressure which is a bit higher than the first time. They said not to worry as probably the first time it was really low due to being on the first trimester and drained.
 
Then, she told me the results of my tests. Luckily, everything was fine, no infections whatsoever, great! They did test me for Sickle Cell Disease because I am from South America and this is an area of high risk apparently. There is more information about this on http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Sickle-cell-anaemia/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Afterwards, she took my blood again for the Down’s syndrome screening. This is the only stage we are taking towards finding out. If the results come back as ‘high risk’ then we are going to leave it up to destiny. As the famous song says, whatever will be, will be. We will still love our baby with all our heart, no matter what happens.

She explained that if it is ‘high risk’ then someone (a midwife) will give me a call within a week to talk about my options which are having diagnostic tests such as CVS (Chorionic Villus Sampling) and Amniocentesis. These tests carry a small chance of miscarriage so that is not something we’d like to do. This website explains them in detail http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/antenatalhealth/testsandcare/screeningfordowns/

She also added that if the results come back as ‘low risk’ then I will receive a letter within 10 days. The thing is that these results are not 100% accurate so the chances of them being wrong still exist.
It is up to every person to decide what is best for them and the baby. We took our decision and will stand by it so let’s see what happens.




funky baby clothes funky baby toys funky baby funky baby gifts baby gifts

No comments:

Post a Comment